Categories of hosting services
A hosting solution refers to stockpiling and/or sharing specific content on a web server managed by a website hosting distributor. There are different kinds of hosting services used for different ends, so let's have a gaze at these. In that way, you can choose what you want, based on whether you desire to create a website, emails, or to share files with friends and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a service distributed by some web hosts, which lets you share large files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived files, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its only objective is to share files, since it does not support site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to see a record of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to see .html or .php web page files in your browser. Free-of-charge file storage services are often supported by showing ads beside the download links, while a timer obliges you to await a particular span of time to perceive them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you possess a paid file hosting package, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download instantly, and also there is no restriction when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
Now, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting merchandisers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more stylish "cloud hosting". This is an entirely erroneous explanation of the real connotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting system would distribute the tasks at hand between different packs of servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to attending different hosting services (email, disk space, statistics, DNS, databases, web page hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is simply a sort of a storage space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; some companies offer a hosting service for images exclusively. This hosting type is suitable if you wish to share a huge quantity of pictures with chums or colleagues since the service is generally free of cost. You will receive a random link for each picture or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be used for sites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution committed to managing your mail accounts. Some suppliers offer website hosting solutions for websites, but do not provide an e-mail service. If you desire to manage a mail address with your domain name but do not want to keep a website, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you require. You can open email box accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service allows you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a given video file, or you can embed the video file in your web site that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of utilizing this method in lieu of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video creates a particular amount of CPU load, so with a bunch of video files and a few hundred web site visitors, you may have a hard time with your web site hosting resources. Embedding the video file will permit you to have as many video files as you desire without worrying about system supplies.
- Website hosting: this is the solution that you require if you wish to own a site. To some extent, it involves all of the abovementioned hosting categories since, along with your web sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can create databases and email accounts, upload videos, and so on. At Free Hostia, for example, you can take a look at web hosting and dedicated web hosting packages that allow you to get all of the abovementioned services in a single location. There may be restrictions based on the kind of hosting service that you've selected - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your site hosting account may be better or worse juxtaposed to the typical email/file/video/image hosting accounts that are devised for specific web content only.